วันอาทิตย์ที่ 12 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2555

'Neets' label does many young people a disservice | Martin Dunne

My generation has been the mantra of New Labour education instilled, but the challenges we face are underestimated

England gave birth to a generation of young people are more confused about what to do with their lives than any other before them. Recently published statistics predict that by the end of 2011, there will be younger "NEET" (not in education, employment or training) ever recorded in this country before.

The acronym agile hides the fact that young people face a variety of different problems. On the one hand, there are bad outcomes. While young people who struggle in school is nothing new, New Labour's emphasis on "education, education, education" has certainly broadened the sense of failure in academia is a failure as a person.

I know many people of my generation who have decided to move forward with A-levels despite the mediocre success in their GCSEs. They attended all the lessons and complete the task with an efficiency of rigor, but eventually left their exams in the knowledge that had not done much better this year than in the past. Finally, most of them hung their backpacks and went for a job: too late to employers seeking 16 years too early and for employers seeking graduates. I remember one girl saying that without a hint of irony. "It would be easier just to have a baby, to be honest"

other hand, there are perfectionists university. Trying to get into college used to be obvious, but the academy does not look particularly attractive. I am about to enter my sophomore year in high school. This means that if you choose to become the first person in my family to apply for college, I will be subject to a maximum of £ 9,000 a year fee, while many of my friends who were born a year before I go to pay a third the price of exactly the same path.


What if I decided college was not for me? This in itself is a difficult decision for a generation that is the shame of being classified as "large" hard to move, even when self-inflicted. Even if you have studied in many academic disciplines, you will find employers are not just lurching from their seats to perform work. A friend of mine has reached at least a B in all GCSE subjects, including several grades A *. He applied for a position in a local supermarket and received an interview that his trial had gone well. The store email him to let him know that it was considered "unfit" for the job, but thank you very much for your time. I had to endure a night of looking at him, as he might have hurt and I was wondering what someone else could have done to deserve the position more than him.


ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น